Two years ago, my colleague and I embarked on a 6-hour drive to Detroit, Michigan to start the 2019 NACADA Region 5 conference. It was here that I would be learning how to take the reigns from her to begin my 2-year term as the NACADA, Region 5 Wisconsin Rep. Little did I know at the time, that this would be my last in-person conference for more than the next year, and that the norm would become virtual conferences and professional development.
As I am almost near the end of my term, I wanted to take the time to share how valuable being part of NACADA have played in my professional life as the Director of Advising, at UW-Platteville.
Why should you attend the upcoming NACADA Regional conference?
There’s a ton of opportunity for networking, learning, and especially it’s a chance for you to get reminded about why you attend conferences and find renewed excitement about advising. For me, it’s always been the rejuvenation that I really and truly love my job and the fact that there’s so much camaraderie in our field!
This year’s NACADA Regional Conference held this year virtually on April 7th and 8th, will combine Region 3 and 5- so you’ll get to see the “best of” from Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Ontario, Michigan, Nunavut (Canada!), and Wisconsin! Not to mention, it’s a chance to support our friends and colleagues across state lines who put in the work to present at a conference that wasn’t able to be held! Plus, we can represent Wisconsin, since the conference was supposed to be in Milwaukee!!
Check out the list of session options for the NACADA Regions 3 and 5 and register for the conference here!
If you are already planning on attending the conference, make sure you join me for the virtual WACADA State meeting on Thursday, April 8 from 9:55-10:55 a.m.! I promise, it’ll be fun, and there will be prizes!!!
Just remember- there’s a bounty of opportunity with both NACADA and WACADA.. Here’s what I’ve learned from my time as the NACADA rep and member of the WACADA board-
- There are many great opportunities for professional development through NACADA! The cost of a virtual regional conference and membership is less than $250!
- What do you get for your NACADA membership?
– Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources
– Publications, Email Lists and Advising Communities
– Professional Development Opportunities: NACADA conferences, institutes, and seminars
– Awards Program, Scholarships, and Research Grants!
– Involvement Opportunities: Opportunities to become involved with committees, advising communities, regions, task forces; opportunities for authorship in NACADA publications
I look forward to “seeing” you at the Regional NACADA conference this April! If you have questions about how to get involved in NACADA, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com!
Director of Advising at UW Platteville