Official posting: https://viterbo.applicantpro.com/jobs/2698633.html
Viterbo University invites applications for a Career Counseling Specialist. The Career Counseling Specialist position reports to the Director of Advising and Career Development. The Career Counseling Specialist is a full-time, 12-month position responsible for providing career counseling and education, academic advising, and developing and executing programs/special events for students, employers, and alumni.
Career Planning and Development (50%):
- Provide academic and career counseling in a comprehensive exploration of career and educational possibilities including administering and interpreting career assessments.
- Collaborate on efforts for the recruitment and retention of exploring (undecided) majors.
- Develop curriculum and teach career education courses including exploring, preparation, internship, and co-op (e.g.110, 310, 487, 489, 490).
- Collaborate with faculty and academic advisors to address students’ concerns related to career direction and choice of major, and to make and follow up on referrals.
- Deliver classroom presentations on career exploration and resources.
Academic Advising (20%):
- Manage caseload of 40-70 select students keeping accurate student records.
- Build rapport and establish relationships through regular communication.
- Provide balanced support, grounded in the appreciative advising model, to help students persist and be successful in their academic endeavors.
- Promote students’ utilization of the university’s academic support and engagement resources.
- Act as an Academic Advising liaison to a specific college or school and exploring students.
- Participate in and help with Academic Advising programming.
Special Events and Employer Relations (20%):
- Organize and implement career events, such as job fairs and career preparation events, including recruiting business participation, marketing events, and coordinating all logistical components.
- Work collaboratively with Viterbo and extended community to develop new partnerships.
- Manage all aspects of employer relations, including assisting employers in using Handshake, soliciting guest speakers, and encouraging employers to use the full array of University services.
- Work collaboratively with teammates to lead, maintain, and expand Handshake utilization by students and alums.
Program Administration and Assessment (10%):
- Serve on University committees and working groups as needed.
- Assist with co-supervising student employees and graduate interns.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of department assessment practices; prepare department reports, surveys, and assessment measures.
- Assist with the marketing of services and programs.
- Manage event budgetary records, accurate program records, and financial records.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality and adhere to professional protocols.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to the position.
- Master’s degree in counseling, higher education administration, or related field required; Wisconsin licensure as a professional counselor preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience or work-related qualifications required.
- Knowledge of effective career counseling and advising competencies for students and alumni, especially exploring students.
- Demonstrated teaching skills in classroom setting.
- Some experience in program coordination and development in a college/university environment.
- Broad knowledge base of career services and advising trends, procedures, and concerns.
- Knowledge and experience using standard career assessments preferred (e.g. Myers Briggs Type Indicator, Strong Interest Inventory, StrengthsQuest).
- Experience with social media marketing development and implementation.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with internal and external constituents, including students, staff, and faculty.
- Ability to effectively communicate in person and in writing, and to speak publicly.
- Should possess high energy and the ability to organize effectively.
- Must be a detail-oriented self-starter, and possess strong data management, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage data and budgets and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Windows including Word, Excel, and Access, and ability to effectively utilize proprietary office management software.
- Commitment to Catholic, Franciscan values.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. Viterbo University is unable to sponsor or take over the sponsorship of the employment Visa.
To Apply: Please complete the online employment application form and upload a letter of interest, CV/resume, and three references.