The Director of Academic Advising serves as a key member of the Student Services & Enrollment Management leadership team providing leadership, direction, and coordination for the college’s academic advising team and functions. The Director is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive vision and strategy for advising services while focusing on creating an environment to support student success through proactive, consistent and student-centered service. The Director ensures internal processes are efficient and effective with an eye to continuously improve service to students.
This position supervises academic advisors throughout the district and follows a co-leadership model.
This position reports to the Vice President of Student Services & Enrollment Management.
- Responsible for defining and leading comprehensive, proactive academic advising and retention service model built upon the guided pathway program design features including creation of academic plans to completion, monitoring student progress, frequent student feedback and appropriate interventions to support student success.
- Implement resources and tools to provide staff the ability to monitor academic progress, academic plans and other critical guided pathway and student success elements proven to support student progression and completion.
- Analyze, develop, implement, and monitor college-wide policies, procedures, and other activities to effectively and positively influence academic advising services.
- Ensure effective utilization of a variety of systems to enhance student success. Collaborate with appropriate staff and departments to ensure optimal configuration.
- Provide leadership and vision for the academic and peer advising functions including determining type and format of holistic services provided to students. Develop and monitor measurement and reporting metrics to ensure departmental functions are being executed effectively.
- Support, in collaboration with faculty advising leadership, the functional and system aspects needed for a successful, student centered faculty advising model. Support and enhance academic advising and faculty advising connections.
- Promote teamwork in the delivery of academic advising to ensure consistency, continuity, and availability.
- Collaborate across college departments to promote and support academic advising services.
- Coordinate grant development and management including reporting of grant activities for Carl Perkins and other state and federal grants for the delivery of academic advising.
- Provide functional direction and leadership to the academic advising team and support the operational leadership of the student services center managers, through a co-leadership model, in overseeing the day-to-day academic advising operations.
- Hire, train, lead, mentor and motivate academic advising team; encourage professional development and engagement.
- Develop and manage academic advising budgets including detailed proposals to support the changing needs of students and staff.
Please note this posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED IN THE POSITION
- Master’s degree
- Three years experience in higher education environment
- Knowledge of computer database and retention systems
- Evidence of excellent planning and organizational skills, including responsiveness and commitment to follow-through
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to assess and implement improvement to services
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to listen and learn from others, as well as effective public speaking skills
- Evidence of experiences reflecting a customer service-oriented mindset
Candidates for the Director of Academic Advising position should be confident, articulate and action-oriented. In addition to having a solid foundation in academic advising, candidates should show evidence of the following:
- Ability to develop and lead a strong advising approach, including emerging advising practices, technology, and student-centered communication.
- Ability to multi-task and think strategically in the fast-paced and ever-evolving profession
- Commitment to the profession through participation in national, regional, state, or local conferences
- Ability to produce results in a fast-paced environment with excellent interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments, multiple priorities and successfully meet deadlines
- Ability to work positively in a demanding, high volume, team-oriented student service environment both independently, as well as collaboratively.
- Team player with creativity, patience and perseverance
- Must possess strong diplomacy skills and the ability to make sound judgments
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available.
DIVISION/LOCATION: Student Services & Enrollment Management/Kenosha Campus
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
Start Date: ASAP
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Employment is contingent upon an acceptable background/reference check.
- Employment eligibility for the United States.
- Tobacco free environment
- Private office
- Exposure to computer screen for much of the workday
- Flexibility is needed to accommodate day, evening, weekend needs
- Must have reliable transportation to travel within the district routinely