Official Job Posting: https://careers-blackhawk.icims.com/jobs/1819/lte-academic-advisor/job
The LTE Academic Advisor provides quality academic and career advising to Blackhawk Technical College students. The Advisor will assist students in transitioning to the College, assessing academic skills, and exploring academic and career options. This position will monitor student progress and provide support throughout the students’ academic career at BTC. Advisors act as liaisons and partners with campus departments in their efforts to develop and implement programs and services that foster an inclusive and engaged campus community. Blackhawk Technical College is committed to building a diverse workforce with emphasis on equity and inclusion. Position will require some night and weekend hours.
This is a limited term position initially funded through June 30, 2023.
- Meet with prospective students individually and in groups to discuss career and post-secondary options.
- Participate in recruitment events, as needed.
- Guide students in making informed decisions regarding educational and career goals.
- Meet with new students to create an academic plan and provide resources and assistance in identifying career and academic goals.
- Monitor academic progress of students and develop intervention strategies to assist students in their development.
- Respond to student concerns/problems by advising and referring them to appropriate resources.
- Provide timely, appropriate, and accurate information regarding program of study, program qualifications, course content, course selection, prerequisites, recommended course load, credit for prior learning process, admissions, retention, and graduation.
- Develop appropriate academic plans with students for program completion and Financial Aid purposes.
- Assist student in complying with program requirements such as scheduling, registration, and appeals.
Student Development and Retention
- Plan and participate in College student development and retention programs.
- Develop presentations to support individual, group and online student sessions.
- Visit BTC Centers and outreach sites and provide information related to BTC programs, services, procedures, and career information that will recruit basic skill students and GED graduates into occupational programs.
Departmental and Campus Responsibilities
- Support the district’s initiatives to promote human diversity and an appreciation for multiculturalism.
- Represent the college in student and community outreach efforts.
- Participate in team and division planning, professional development activities, and college-wide committees as assigned and appropriate.
- Provide standard reports and grant reporting data as requested.
- Use web services and software programs such as BANNER, MS Office, email, Image Now, Starfish, and other programs to assist in meeting objectives of the College.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, communication, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to promote the understanding and respect of cultural and human diversity and abilities.
- Experience working in a dynamic team environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software and general knowledge/efficiency of computer tools.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, student services, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous experience in Student Services with advising or counseling preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.