Call for Program Proposals
The Wisconsin Academic Advising Association Annual Conference
Guiding Students in the Right Direction
September 12-13, 2019, Gateway Technical College, Kenosha, WI
Who Should Submit a Program Proposal?
We earnestly encourage novice as well as experienced presenters. Advisors, administrators, faculty, counselors, career development specialists, researchers, graduate students—we want to hear from you!
Program Proposal Criteria
Submissions should include:
- Program Proposal Cover page
- Presentation Description ~ 200 words or less (word, pdf, or powerpoint)
- Presentation Summary ~ 60 words or less, to be printed in the conference program (word or pdf)
Session Format Types
Concurrent sessions cover current issues in academic advising. Some are based on research, some on individual program results, some are developmental, and others are theoretical. The presentation format may be mostly lecture with questions and discussion following, or a discussion session which is more informal.
Round-Table Discussions will begin with an overview of the topic by one or more presenters and continue with interactive, small group discussion around a central theme. The discussion will be facilitated by the presenters to ensure time for reporting to the group at large.
Panel Sessions will team two or three presenters into one session coordinated by an assigned moderator. The individual presentations will be about 10 minutes each, with time for questions at the end.
Poster Sessions are a visual, interactive format allowing one-on-one discourse with colleagues.
Proposals and abstracts will be reviewed by the WACADA Executive Board members, using these criteria:
- Clearly stated purpose and objectives
- Timeliness of the subject matter
- Creativity in an approach to a situation or in ways to manage it
- Adaptability of ideas to a variety of institutional settings
The “Best of WACADA” Award will be given to the presenter(s) with the highest scores on the evaluation forms. $250 total will be awarded the winner(s) to put toward the cost of attending the NACADA Region 5 Conference. Winner(s) will present the winning program at the NACADA Region 5 Conference in 2020.
Important Dates to Remember
The deadline is extended to Friday, July 12, 2019. The Board will review and finalize selections the following week. Early submissions are appreciated and will be given advance consideration.
Tips to Remember
- Due to budgetary considerations, it is not possible to offer either an honorarium or a waiver of registration fees to presenters.
- All presenters and co-presenters must register for the conference and pay the appropriate fee. Register online at www.wacada.org
Please attach all documents and submit this cover page form by Friday, June 28, 2019.
Please feel free to contact the WACADA conference chair directly with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Program proposals will be reviewed by the planning committee. Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of clarity, timeliness, creativity, and adaptability of ideas to a variety of settings. You will be contacted by the site planning committee regarding acceptance of your proposal.